Please see our Home Page for our COVID-19 update and our plans for resuming our in person courses.
Our multi-award winning antenatal classes are different to those you will be offered by your midwife and to other pre-recorded programmes you find online. They are live and interactive, longer, more in-depth and cover all aspects of pregnancy, birth, and early parenting. They allow plenty of time for discussion and questions, include practical tips such as massage and breathing, how to bath a baby, change a nappy, breastfeeding and of course you meet others expecting a baby at a similar time.
We also offer a combined full antenatal and hypnobirthing course by optionally ‘bolting on’ the parts of hypnobirthing that are not covered on our full antenatal courses. Please scroll to the bottom to read about this unique combined course.
FULL ANTENATAL COURSES
Our antenatal courses are comprehensive and will give you the knowledge, confidence and skills you need to have a calm and positive birth experience no matter how your baby is born. Armed with extensive knowledge, you will feel fully empowered to ask questions and trust your natural instincts in order to make the best choices for you and your baby.
We also hope you will have had a lot of fun and made some new friends who are expecting babies at around the same time as you.
“We came to the course with absolutely no experience and feeling like deer in headlights about the pregnancy and birth. We finished the course feeling positive about what lies ahead and more informed about all of our options.”
We will work with your antenatal group to personalise your course according to your needs; however, we would normally expect the following topics to be included in every full antenatal course:
• What to expect physically and emotionally before, during and after birth
• Looking at where you might like to give birth to your baby
• Recognising signs that your labour is becoming established
• Understanding the role of hormones and how these help labour and birth to progress
• How fear and pain together with other hormones can slow labour and birth
• Birth partner’s role and helpful, practical tips they can use to support you throughout all stages of labour and birth
• Coping strategies with an emphasis on active birth and working with your body - bringing together practised hypnobirthing breathing techniques, visualisation, relaxation, movement, positions, distraction and massage
• Having the confidence to ask questions, decision making strategies and trusting your natural instincts
• Pain management; self-help and medical options
• Induction, assisted birth and caesarean birth; what they mean and why they might be offered in plain, simple terms!
• Physical and emotional recovery after birth - what to expect and suggestions of what you can do
• Life with a newborn baby - expectations
• Practical babycare such as bathing, nappy changing, sleeping and winding
• Coping strategies for the transition to parenthood
• Feeding choices; breastfeeding, formula feeding, expressing, mixed feeding
• Being aware of choices throughout pregnancy and parenthood to allow informed decision making
As specially trained facilitators, we encourage your participation through activities and discussion so our antenatal classes are interactive! Couples are encouraged to ask questions throughout.
Our courses vary in length between 15 and 16 hours and thus the price varies accordingly between £129 and £149 . All include a postnatal reunion with the teacher and others who attended the course. Most couples continue to meet up for many years after meeting at our antenatal classes.
We also set up closed WhatsApp groups so you can keep in touch with the others on your course as well as your teacher. Your teacher is (nearly!) always available to support you throughout your journey to parenthood and during the early weeks if you need breastfeeding support or just some general reasurance. We’ve had multiple children between us so we know only too well what it’s like to be a new parent!
“We really enjoyed our antenatal course with Sian. It was informative but not overloading. It’s also been a really great way to connect with other new parents-to-be who are local which is a big part of why we wanted to do the course. Sian has been really helpful and supportive outside of the course too.”
COMBINED FULL ANTENATAL AND HYPNOBIRTHING COURSES
Many of the tools and strategies we discuss on our full antenatal courses are included in a standard hypnobirthing course so Sian decided to train in hypnobirthing to qualify her to teach the additional hypnobirthing elements.
Sian qualified with KGHypnobirthing - the leading hypnobirthing training programme accredited by the Royal College of Midwives. She offers four hours of additional hypnobirthing techniques which you can bolt on to a full antenatal course for just £60. The price includes a step by step manual, MP3’s and the KGHypnobirthing book.
The following will be included on a hypnobirthing course
Having facilitated antenatal classes in this area for many years, we know that the majority of expectant parents want to meet others for long-term friendship and support. About Birth & Babies practitioners know the importance of this and are skilled in encouraging groups to form a close network.
This is helped by our antenatal groups being relatively small with plenty of time for social interaction during the course. Courses in Norwich usually have six-eight couples.
“We enjoyed meeting other expectant mums and dads. It was an excellent opportunity to network and for us (not local to the area) a chance to meet others going through the same life changing experience.”
Sarah & James, Norwich
Have a look at the courses we have on offer over the next few months and choose one that suits your due date, your diary, and/or geographical area. If you need any help or more information, please contact us.
We recommend that you choose a course with an end date that is at least three weeks before your EDD (estimated due date) as this is when you are considered to have reached full term. The optimal time to finish a course is when you are 32-36 weeks.
As winners of ’Best Pregnancy Class in Norfolk’ in 2018 and 2019 (no longer running due to Covid) together with dozens of 5∗ reviews we very much hope you will trust About Birth & Babies to support you along your journey to parenthood.